Muse - The Resistance

6.5/10                                     Summing up my exact opinion of Muse's album "The Resistance" has been one of those types of things that is lingering in the back of my mind, like an annoying fly that you keep putting off trying to kill, even with how much it keeps bugging you. Not to say "The Resistance" has been a bug to listen to necessarily, it's more like I'm not really sure WHAT to say to about it, and everyone keeps asking me what I think. So all I am left to say is that it's kind of one of those albums that most of us have been anticipating for some time since their last outstanding release in '06, "Black Holes & Revelations", and now that it's actually here, and actually quite different from any of their past work, it almost feels like we're all dumb founded and confused a little. Well at least me personally, I don't really know what to do with Muse sounding THIS much like Queen, when I have Queen to sound like...well Queen. In fact as I was listening to to the album the other day I was realizing that on "Origin Of Symmetry" they were guitar heavy, on "Absolution" they were piano heavy, on "BH&R" they were electronically heavy, and on this one....well they are Queen heavy. 
         Now it's not all bad, when it comes down to the concept of the entire album, and the all around stimulation of big arena rock, it does execute proficiently. Not to mention the beautiful melodies mixed in throughout the course of the experience, and the outstanding three part symphony to end the album in a "Muse" worthy manner. But with all that going for it, I still cringe many times at the less then worthy attempts to sound "Queenish", and the over-looming fact that the album does have a sort of over-blown, over the top kind of feel throughout it. I still love the band, and look forward to future efforts, but overall "The Resistance" was a bit of a let down. But life still goes on, right? 

2 comments:

  1. i wonder what they were thinking. queen? really? why would they do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it was a mixture of letting their fame get to their head, and possibly letting their influences come thru a little too much. To me it almost sounded like they were more worried about being called "The saviors of the world" then actually "saving the world" with this album.

    ReplyDelete