Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night

7/10                            So I've been listening to this album for a year now, and have literally watched the American public explode with excitement over this amazing "new" band, who have happened to be around since '99 and released their debut album in '03, in case you didn't know. It's almost as if most of them have been living under a rock for the past ten years and FINALLY decided to embrace a band from our very own USA that isn't a "sell out" act, right? Well we would certainly hope so. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with selling a lot of records or anything, but it does beg the question "why?", when most of the Billboard 200 is stocked full of artists who are either in High School or just graduated in time to put out their first "adult" record,  not to mention the people who don't even write their own music.
           But when it comes down to the record "Only By The Night" there is a massive part of my soul that clings to it for nostalgia sake, not to mention what these boys as a band have meant to me for the past few years. But from an objective stand point I do feel they lost that edge they used to have with head clanging screams blaring at me in "Charmer", or the awkward start stop insanity of "Four Kicks". Now don't get me wrong "OBTN" is an album packed full of some of their strongest songs, and I can't resist singing along to the hits, even when I see two teenie boppers walking in the local mall singing along to "Use Somebody". It's a strong album, but not the one any of us who have followed them since '03 were hoping for necessarily.


1 comment:

  1. This album freaking sucks! I like their old stuff way better!

    ReplyDelete